Nominations are now open for the following officer positions on the 2014-15 RMASFAA Board of Directors (board year begins in October 2014):
-Associate Member Delegate
For a description of the duties of each office, please see pages 9-13 of RMASFAA’s Policies and Procedures manual: http://rmasfaa.org/docs/inside/governingdocs/PandP.pdf
You are encouraged to help us shape the future of RMASFAA by nominating one or more colleagues to be considered for the upcoming election. All nominees must be current RMASFAA members. Keep in mind that you can also nominate yourself!
The online nomination form will be available until April 1 and is located here: http://rmasfaa.org/docs/forms/officerNomination.html
Just a friendly reminder that nominations for NASFAA awards are due by Friday, February 28th. Nominations may be submitted online via the NASFAA website. If you have not already done so, please check out the NASFAA website to learn more about the criteria for each of the following individual award categories:
- Allan W. Purdy Distinguished Service Award
- Lifetime Membership Award
- Honorary Membership Award
- Meritorious Achievement Award
Again, all of the above nominations may be submitted online using the NASFAA nomination form.
In addition NASFAA has a Regional Leadership Award that is presented to individuals, who need not be financial aid administrators, who have made outstanding contributions to the financial aid profession at the regional and state levels over a sustained period of time (i.e. seven years or more). Leadership at the national level is not a criterion for this award. Current members of NASFAA’s Board of Director’s, including non-voting members, are not eligible to receive this award.
Individuals selected for the Regional Leadership award must:
- Exhibit high integrity and character
- Have shown creative leadership
- Have inspired and encouraged others to participate actively in professional development activities
- Have continued active involvement in professional organizations after holding elected office, and
- Have supported the goals and objectives of NASFAA
Nominations for the NASFAA Regional Leadership award are submitted to NASFAA by the regional associations. Therefore, if you would like to nominate a fellow RMASFAA colleague who meets the above criteria, please send a private email to: email@example.com no later than 5:00pm, Thursday, February 27th. Please include the name of the individual you are nominating, the name of their institution and a brief description as to how this individual meets the criteria outlined above. Nominations will be collected and shared with the RMASFAA board for consideration of submission to NASFAA.
What a winter! In Kansas the saying goes: “if you don’t like the weather, just wait 10 minutes and it will change.” However, this year the frigid cold and unusually high amounts of snowfall have outstayed their welcome (at least in my opinion)! I’m happy to report that with the warmer temperatures this past weekend – the snow has disappeared and I hope milder days are here to stay! I know that many of you throughout the region are still experiencing lots of snow and cold – so I’ll send “warm thoughts” your way!
Turning to RMASFAA business, I wanted to share some “tidbits” as to what’s been happening as the board and committees have been diligently working over these past few months!
• The voting members of the Board of Directors have undertaken several electronic votes in the past few months which included approving the 2013-2014 RMASFAA budget (that was created at our transitional meeting in October) plus a couple of variances to that budget. In addition we approved the contract for the 2015 RMASFAA annual conference which will be hosted by Colorado and CAFAA.
• The Membership Committee has been busy as the membership drive for the current year is just winding up. If you have not already done so, please renew your membership today. In order to maintain voting privileges membership dues were to be paid by February 15, 2014.
• The Association Governance Committee updated the By-Laws and the Policy & Procedures Manual to incorporate the various by-law changes that were voted on and approved by the membership on October 22, 2013 at the annual business meeting. The by-laws changes that were approved include:
o Format and content changes to by-laws document for clarity and consistency
o Article IV / Membership: Addition of a new individual membership category
o Article V / Board of Directors: Added language that defines protocol to follow in the
event that a state president is not a member of RMASFAA
o Article VII / Committees: Removed committee details out of the by-laws and placed
within the policy and procedures manual
o Article XI / Finances: Change allows for RMASFAA to have a “financial review” rather
than an annual audit
• “Save the Date” for June 8 -13, 2014 and join us in beautiful Golden, CO at the Colorado School of Mines for the 2014 RMASFAA Summer Institute. The SI Committee has been hard at work to make this year’s event another fantastic training opportunity for both new and seasoned financial aid professionals. This year’s theme is “Financial Aid Avengers – Not All Superheros Wear Capes”. Watch the RMASFAA website for registration information in early March.
• The Association News Committee is continually providing timely information via the RMASFAA Blog with regard to our association’s activities as well as interesting articles on members (past and present) in our association. Please stay tuned in to the blog as it and the RMASFAA website are your best sources for information.
• The Diversity and Awareness Committee (DMCI) is currently soliciting applications for a scholarship to assist RMASFAA members with costs to attend either the 2014 Summer Institute in June or the annual conference in October. The application can be found on the RMASFAA website and the deadline to submit applications is April 4, 2014.
• In January I attended a meeting with NASFAA staff and the six regional presidents in Washington, D.C. This was a first-ever meeting of its kind and one that all of the regional presidents found very valuable. The meeting provided us a format to discuss similar challenges / opportunities and potential ways that NASFAA might be able to partner with us in some of those areas. We six regional presidents have also been holding monthly conference calls since last November to stay in touch with one another and to share ideas.
L to R: Frank Green (WASFAA), Sara Beth Holman (MASFAA), Deb Byers (RMASFAA), Zita Barree (SASFAA), Craig Munier (NASFAA Chair), Eileen O’Leary (NASFAA Chair-Elect), Brian Lemma (EASFAA), Justin Draeger (NASFAA President) and Andrew Hammontree (SWASFAA).
• In addition, monthly conference calls are conducted with both Art Young (RMASFAA President-Elect) and Jeff Jacobs (Past-President). This was a practice started a few years back and provides a great opportunity for the RMASFAA “presidents” to stay connected on a monthly basis regarding association business, action items and timelines.
• The RMASFAA winter board meeting will take place February 28 – March 1 in Denver, CO. I’m looking forward to this meeting and to hearing more exciting news from each of the officers, committee chairs, and state delegates as to their efforts and all the good things that are in the works for the members of our association!
Hope this finds all of you doing well as we collectively gear-up to begin the next awarding cycle for 2014-2015!
Paula left the University of Montana in 1997 to work at Sentinel High School in Missoula, MT. She has worked at Sentinel for 17 years, first in the capacity of Activities Secretary, and presently as the bookkeeper.
Paula Seaholm started at the University of Montana-Missoula in 1990 as an information specialist and worked the front counter in the Financial Aid Office answering student’s questions concerning their financial aid. In 1992 she advanced to the supervisor for the front office, supervising two or three full-time employees and, at times, ten work study students.
Paula became involved in RMASFAA in 1993 when the Regional Financial Aid Conference was coming to their region and was going to be held in the Missoula area. Paula worked on the conference for about 1-½ years with co-chair Terri Gruba. According to Paula, “Working on RMASFAA was a fantastic experience for me!”
Paula received the Oscar R. ‘Jack’ Hendrix Award (formerly, Rookie of the Year Award) in 1995.
Where is Paula now?
Answer to follow…
Hello Again RMASFAA Friends!
This is just a friendly reminder that it is once again time to renew your RMASFAA Membership, if you haven’t already done so. As we anticipate financial aid changes for 2014, please take a moment to consider the value your RMASFAA membership provides. By securing 2014 RMASFAA membership, you’ll have access to:
* Networking Opportunities and a community with which to connect and share best practices
* Summer Institute: June 8-13 at the Colorado School of Mines – Golden, CO
* Leadership Pipeline: Opportunities for both the new and seasoned professional
* Annual Conference: October 19-22 in Salt Lake City, UT at the Snowbird Resort
* RMASFAA Blog
* RMASFAA Listserv
An institutional membership is only $100 and is valid through December 31, 2014! Only the primary contact at your institution needs to renew your institution’s membership and submit your membership dues atwww.rmasfaa.org/docs/forms/memApp.html. However, I recommend that each individual member of RMASFAA review your personal information at http://www.rmasfaa.org/docs/toc_memberservices.html to confirm the accuracy of your name, title and email address. The primary contact for each member organization should also be sure to add and delete individual members from their organization’s member list as appropriate.
Please keep in mind that in order to maintain committee positions and voting privileges your membership dues must be received by February 15, 2014. Payment can be made directly online at the RMASFAA website through PayPal or can be submitted via check to:
David W. Martin
SDSM&T Financial Aid Director
501 E Saint Joseph St
Rapid City, SD 57701
In the past, we have had several checks go to former RMASFAA treasurers so please be sure that your Business Office has the correct contact information as listed above. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Don’t miss out on this wonderful opportunity!
Jennifer Almli, Chair
RMASFAA Membership Committee
Student Assistance Foundation